Once Oakley Home Access does our home assessment and determines the proper modifications for each individual person, the question we are asked most frequently is, “How can we pay for these modifications?” Thankfully there are several different funding sources for most people to consider if they are not able to pay out of pocket. Home modifications and aging in place are much less expensive alternatives to long-term care facilities and the process of finding funding is something that we can help with also. In this blog we are speaking of Rhode Island sources, but if you are located outside of Rhode Island, we are sure that there are similar programs in your own state.

RI Livable Home Modification Grant

State-funded program offering to pay for 50% of up to $5000 worth of Home Modifications and/or home accessibility equipment including ramps and stairlifts. Application found here.

State-Run Medicaid

If an individual receives RI Medicaid benefits they may be eligible for waiver programs funding Stair Lifts & Ramps. We are State approved providers and can check on eligibility and bill the state directly.

See what is/isn't covered by Medicaid Insurance.

Neighborhood Health Plan

If an individual has NHP as primary or secondary insurance and it is managed by Integra, they may be eligible for Stair Lifts & Ramps. Prescription and letter of medical necessity is required by physician. We are providers so can work with NHP for authorization and billing.

See what is/isn't covered by Medicaid Insurance.

Long-Term Care Policy

If an individual carries a LTC policy, they will most likely be aware of it because it is very expensive. It generally covers nursing home residency. Therefore, the insurance companies would much rather pay for home modifications for aging in place versus footing the bill for approximately 100,000 per year for residency at a nursing home. Simple reimbursement process.

National MS Society

Members are often eligible for thousands of dollars’ worth of equipment with a simple application and letter from physician confirming diagnosis.

ALS Association of RI

Members are each eligible for $1,500 towards purchase of stair lift and a wide variety of home care benefits.

Travis Roy Grant

This grant is for accessibility equipment for individuals with Spinal Cord Injuries. Eligibility requirements includes the individual cannot be born with impairment to qualify. Simple application along with contractor proposal and doctor’s note required.

Home Modification Lines of Credit

Individuals with equity in their homes may inquire about using that to fund home improvements. All of our services/equipment would be eligible for this type of loan.

Life Insurance Policy

Individuals who carry life insurance policies that include a “Living Benefit” may sometimes be able to borrow against their award and cover home modifications.

Worker's Compensation

Individuals rehabilitating due to a work-related injury and being covered under an active claim are eligible for home modifications to prevent further injury and create home access.

Infantile Paralysis Association

Individuals with Polio have a funding option which often puts thousands for wheelchair ramps and various adaptive equipment.

AAA, AARP, YMCA, & Veteran’s Discounts Available

Ask for more details.

Other Disability Organizations

We always encourage health care providers and individuals alike to advocate and contact any disability organization or support group they may be involved with in order to inquire regarding funding for home modifications. Worst that can happen is they say No. If the answer is no, be sure to ask what benefits they DO offer. If the answer is yes, find out how to access funds.